Friday, October 29, 2010

Pioneers

I've finally decided on a final portfolio project for Photography.
My concept is Pioneers: Revisiting the New Frontier & Connections Made in Modern Obscurity.
Yes, I know it's wordy. :) But basically, it's just about family, and friends, and the modern "tribe" that we create.
I want my photos to be primarily portraits of my loved ones, mixed with some of autumnal nature.
I have to shoot 10 or more rolls (yikes) so I've definitely got my work cut out for me.
I think diffused light is going to suit this concept a bit better than high noon harsh lighting, so I'm going to aim for late in the day-early evening, mostly shot in the woods. I want to emulate the work of Sally Mann (minus the inappropriate child nudity haha) so I'm writing my research paper on her.

Here is some of her work....





















Definitely not everyone's cup of tea, but I think there's something beautiful about her work.
And here's the poem that sort of spurred my vision.... in a Levi's commercial! Ha :)



We'll see how it goes. :)
End of semester is way too stressful. I wish there were more hours in the day.

XO M

2 comments:

  1. I LOVE the little girl with the cigarette and the dead boy...and the girl with the dead deer. Im obsessing over this lady!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha! Yay! :) I'm glad you like her too!

    ReplyDelete